Tuesday, March 22, 2011








Sometimes all you need is a visit to the farmer's market.  

In this part of the world, after Christmas lights are packed into boxes in January, we recede into a sea of grey and brown, wet cement and dead grass, for weeks on end.  It's fairly depressing, for sure, and not until the clocks spring forward do we shake the dust off and remember there's life beyond winter.  

And so today there were carrots.  In orange and yellow and ruby red.  Bright green at their ends with rich, dark soil packed into their creases.  Smelling of another season, transporting me out of these final days of drab.

Doused in olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary, and Maldon salt.  Oh . . . What?  You don't know about Maldon salt?  Well, let me tell you.  

A cherished friend slipped it to me like a paper-wrapped package in wartime Europe, some kind of contraband.  Passed on like a family secret.  Pinched between fingers, it has such texture, so tactile.   And each time you touch it, you recall the gift itself and the excitement with which it was presented.  Like I said: cherished.

It's sea salt in big, thin flakes, instead of snow-melting chunks.  And while it's nice to cook with, it's even better at the finish, when it melts atop food, seasoning perfectly without crunching between teeth.  And it's a perfect counter to the roasted sweetness of these carrots.






10 comments:

  1. now the photos are delish as always, but gosh those words of yours are especially good.

    and i've got some salt for you. (but Maldon's the favourite!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I've never heard of Maldon salt but I am making a beeline to the grocery store tomorrow for some. I love a light dusting of salt over roasted veggies. While sea salt is more flavorful than table, I hate the gritty texture. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... I love sprinkling sea salt on the top of chocolate chip cookies just before they go in the oven. I'm going to have to hunt down some Maldon salt now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Yes, we too have been converted to Maldon salt by our fellow food loving friends. Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason- Maldon is fantastic, but you have not lived until you have tried the light pink salt flakes from the Murray river in Australia (http://www.sunsalt.com.au/)

    I also adore the charcoal black flakes of Black Lava Sea Salt sprinkled on baked Kipfler potatoes with a good dollop of Mayo! http://www.gewurzhaus.com.au/node/240 see if you can find it back in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maldon salt with butter on radishes or bread... There is no finer thing on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I not know about your blog? Just found you via Jeremy and Kathleen. I am delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! When I took my first cooking class at the Brooklyn Kitchen earlier this year it was Maldon salt mentions left and right. I KNEW I had heard of it before but couldn't place it. It was HERE!

    ReplyDelete