Monday, November 30, 2009

A Nice Day for a Niçoise


Sometimes, your body needs a salad. And I'm all for that, but sometimes your body also needs some meat and some protein and some something other than green.

And that's where chicken and salmon and eggs and tuna and nuts come in. Salads can be made of lots of things. And a Niçoise covers so many of these satisfying bases.

Now, if I was Natasha, I'd include fresh, seared tuna. But I'm not, so instead I used canned, though something nice and white, of the Albacore variety. Steamed potatoes and crisp green beans. Hard boiled eggs doused in pepper and chopped capers. Oil and vinegar.

When you put it all together, few things are a greater symphony of flavours.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, God, I love a Niçoise! There's something about the combination of tuna, potatoes, and eggs that manages to be light but hearty...and perfect.

    I play with the recipe by roasting the potatoes in garlic and olive oil, and by adding green olives and fresh tarragon. I don't usually go for the traditional deconstructed presentation either, though it's undeniably elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there.
    Thanks for getting this Niçoise right: Don't want to count the number of so-called Niçoises I've had that tried getting away with no potato, even in Nice itself.
    Fun blog, by the way.
    Greetings from Germany,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a home cooked meal in a month.
    this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete